Step 1: The Style
The following are common wedding cake styles:
Step 2: Number of tiers
The number and size of each tier will be determined by the number of guests as well as the flavours of the cake.
As a guideline wedding fruitcake is traditionally served in 2.5cm (1-inch) square pieces and the table below gives a rough guide to the number of servings each will yield. Square cakes are better value than other shapes and are easier to cut. Sponge cakes will normally provide half of the portions listed below.
Step 3: Shapes
The following are the most popular shapes for wedding cakes:
Step 4: Flavours & Fillings
The most popular cake recipes chosen include:
- Traditional Rich Fruitcake
- Chocolate Biscuit – made from Belgian chocolate with biscuit, honeycomb and marshmallow
- Carrot Cake – this is a lovely moist cake filled with a cream cheese icing
- Rich Chocolate Sponge – with Cointreau and a chocolate ganache filling
- Red Velvet – filled with a cream cheese frosting.
- Madeira – light, moist cake filled with a Baileys buttercream
- Lemon Madeira – light refreshing cake filled with a lemon buttercream.
- Gluten free madeira – filled with jam and buttercream.
At Top Tier we are often asked to use a bride or groom’s family recipe or try something more unusual. We will try to accommodate your needs as much as we can on this. Also where cakes have a butter-icing, this may be flavoured according to your taste eg. chocolate, orange, rum, Bailey’s, Cointreau etc.
Step 5: Decorations
This has become an increasingly important part of the wedding. As couples decide on the overall theme for the wedding, it is often worth blending in some elements of this theme into the wedding cake presentation. We recommend you considering such ideas as adding fresh flowers, lighting and staging for the cake, if appropriate. This creates a better atmosphere for guests, a better photographic opportunity and can often act as a “conversation piece” for wedding guests. It can also bring an extra sense of style to the wedding at a minimal cost.
For example, we recently made a wedding cake in the shape of the Empire State Building; the location where the groom had proposed to the bride. This was a fantastic talking point at the wedding and looked terrific on the day.
Top Tier offer this service to couples but please remember to describe fully your wedding theme (and story) so that we can work in appropriate elements to the cake.